1. History, introduction and development of medicinal chemistry, nomenclature of drugs.
2. Heterocyclic compounds: Nomenclature and numbering of heterocyclic systems, general methods of preperation and important reactions of five membered and six membered heterocyclic systems-pyrrole, furan, thiphene, pyridine, quinoline, isoquinoline and indole.
3. Acquaintance with the following heterocyclic systems commonly encountered in therapeutic agents with suitable examples. Aziridine, thiadiazole, oxazole, isoxazole, thiazole, imidazole, pyrazole, pyridazine, pyrimidine, piperazine, piperidine, benzothiazole, purine, benzimidazole, indole, benzathiadiazine, pteridine, pthalazine, quinazoline, isoquinoline, benzopyran, benzodiazapine, acridine, thiaxanthene.
A study of the classification, mode of action , structural activity realtionship (whereever applicable) and synthesis of specified members of the following classes of drugs.
4. General anaesthetics: Halothane, thiopental sodium and diethyl ether.
5. Sedatives and hypotonics: Phenobarbital, buspirone, diazepam, alprazolam.
6. Anticonvulsants: phenytoin, valproic acid, etho suximide, carbamazepine.
7. Central voluntary muscle relaxants: mefenicin, methocarbamol
8. Analgesics: Narcotic analgesics-derivatives of morphin, morphinan, phenylpiperidine, benzazocine, diphenyl propylamine and isosters. Narcotic antagonists - morphine deerivatives, miscellaneous compounds, antitussives and expectorants. Synthesis of meperidine, methadone, pethidine and propoxiphen.
9. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics and antipyretics-paracetamol, aspirin, indomethacin, diclophenac sodium, ibuprofen and piroxicam.
10. Analeptics: Nikethamide, picrotoxin, pentelene tetrazole, ethamiban, doxapram
11. Antipsychotic agents: chloropromazine, promethazine, thiothexene and haloperidol.
12. Antidepressants: imipramine, desipramine, amitryptiline, isocarboxazide phenelzine.
13. Antithyroid drugs: hormones of the thyroid gland and antithyroid drugs.
14. Diagnostic agents: Radio-opaques, agents for kidney function and liver function tests, miscellaneous agents.
15. Local anaesthetics: Benzocaine, procaine, lignocaine and dibucaine.
16. Antihistaminic agents: diphenhydamine HCl, chloropheniramine, chlorcyclizine, cetrizine, meperamine, ranitidine and omeprazole.
17. Antidiabetic agents: Insulin and its preparation, tolbutamide and glibenclamide
9:55 PM Sri No comments